Special Notes: New Dentist Recommended
Antibiotic stewardship has taken on new importance with the emergence of superbugs and the decline in effective and available oral antibiotics. Karen will update the dental team on recent developments in dental antibiotic prescribing and outline strategies for prescribing to ensure therapeutic success with minimum risk. Difficult questions about antibiotic prophylaxis will be examined and all relevant guidelines and decision tools will be included. Opioid prescribing remains controversial, especially in young, opioid naïve patients. This course will explore alternatives and strategies that benefit patients and reflect positively on your practice. Extensive and current handouts will maximize the chairside value of this fast-paced and entertaining lecture.
- Learn how to select regimens for odontogenic infections based on allergies, intolerances, effectiveness, Black Box warnings and guidelines.
- Learn how to prescribe antibiotic premedication for certain patients with a variety of implants, including cardiac and orthopedic devices.
- Discuss the pros and cons of prophylactic antibiotics for implant placement, tooth extractions and other surgical procedures.
- Discuss the extent of the opioid substance use disorder problem in the U.S.
- Recognize the role of the dentist in contributing to the current problem.
- Explain the relative effectiveness of non-opioid and opioid agents in acute pain.
- Discuss the benefits and risks of specific pain control regimens for effective dental analgesia.