A first and second place prize will be awarded in each of the following six categories:
- Human Interest: Pictures of people in all walks of life and doing all types of activities ... individuals, couples and families, babies and children, young and old.
- Travel & Places: Pictures that express the adventures of travel ... images that express a sense of place—something unique to your travel experience.
- Outdoor Beauty: Pictures of nature and the outdoors ... of land, sea or sky. Animal pictures should be submitted in the All Creatures Great & Small category.
- Black and White: Give us your great contrasting images for this category. Subject/object not limited. Any photo that is black and white, regardless of subject, must be submitted in this category.
- All Creatures Great & Small: Insects, Birds, Fish, Mammals ... pictures of wild or domesticated members of the great animal kingdom.
- Architecture: Pictures that display architecture: details, exteriors and interiors. Images should not contain animals or human beings within the image.
All entries must be digital photos sent to Melissa Albertson and received by 8am Monday, December 17, 2018. There will be no exceptions to this deadline.
Image Quality: Images must be 300 dpi, and not less than a minimum size of 8.5” by 11”. This high-quality submission will ensure pixilation doesn’t occur when used in print. If submitting multiple entries, please associate a file number/category name with each submission. Photos must have been taken since January 1, 2017.
Photo Enhancements: Photo manipulation beyond basic editing (cropping and toning) is prohibited.
Number of Entries: Members may submit one entry per category, for a total of six entries per member. Submissions accepted only from dentist or dental student members in good standing.
Additional Information: Photos may be vertical or horizontal in orientation. If horizontal orientation, photos will be cropped/resized to fit the Focus cover. An uncropped version of the photo will be placed inside the issue. Each photo must have submitted with it the following details: Desired Contest Category; Photo Title; and, Brief Description (explaining what it shows, when and where it was taken). Each photographer must submit the following biographical information: Full Name, Home Address, Practice Address, Practice Type. Biographical information will be used for administrative purposes only and will be excluded from the judges during the selection of winners.
Winning entrants will be required to submit a photograph of themselves and more detailed biographical information for a short article in the Focus. MDA Staff will contact winners at a later date to request this information.
The voting process is anonymous, and judges will chose their top two images from each category, which will then tabulated for results.
For any contest-related questions, contact Melissa Albertson.