Here you will find information about the MDA legislative agenda as well as related topics and issues for the current session. We are able to report a very successful 2013 legislative session in no small part because of the continual and selfless work done by the many members of the MDA throughout the years. I look forward to working with each of you again this year as we work toward another successful session. As a reminder, all MODentPAC contributors receive a weekly legislative report during the 2014 legislative session.
2014 Legislative Agenda
The MDA is continually advocating for the issues important to you. The MDA’s Legislative and Regulatory Committee presented its recommendations to the MDA’s Board of Trustees and the MDA’s House of Delegates added additional items.
Improve the Medicaid System
- Improve efficiency by implementing a Dental Carve Out.
- Improve reimbursement rates.
- Currently reimbursed at 38.75 percent of UCR.
- Rate does not cover basic costs of practitioner to provide care.
- Allow Medicaid payments, made to providers, to be placed in the state’s deferred compensation plan.
Insurance Policies Reforms
- Outlaw silent PPOs.
- Monitor attempts to enact quality rating systems.
- Restore medical malpractice and tort award caps.
- Non-economic caps ruled unconstitutional.
- Restoration of these caps is an attempt to keep insurance premiums low.
- Require PPO lists to be updated in a timely fashion.
Push for Expanded Coverage
- Adult dental coverage.
- Statutes allow for coverage of this population.
- Funding has not been provided since 2004.
- Coverage for the DD population.
- Provide private coverage for pregnant women.
- Provide more education opportunities for dental students by compensating UMKC for unfunded dental care provided to adult patients.
Legislator Look Up Tool
Find Legislators in Your District
Join the MDA Grassroots Network
With so many new legislators, the MDA has a lot of people to get to know. If you have an existing relationship with a Representative or Senator (participate in a fundraiser, attend church together, knew each other in college or high school), please Join the Grassroots Network.
Return to Top