Here you'll find information on the MDA legislative agenda as well as related topics and issues for the current session.
2013 End of Session Report
We are able to report a very successful legislative session in no small part because of the continual and selfless work done by the many members of the MDA throughout the years. The following is a list of bill that passed the General Assembly and await signature from Governor Nixon unless otherwise noted. For a detailed report of all the bills that passed this legislative session please referred to the Capitol Connection archive.
Capped Fees - Truly Agreed To and Finally Passed - SIGNED INTO LAW (6/12/13) - House Bill 315 prohibits a contract between a health carrier or health benefit plan and a dentist from requiring the dentist to provide services under a dental plan to an insured at a fee established by the carrier or plan if the services are not covered under the plan.
Carve Out - Truly Agreed To and Finally Passed - SIGNED INTO LAW (7/8/13) - Senate Bill 127 would authorizes the MO HealthNet Division within the Department of Social Services, or a contractor of the division, to implement a statewide dental delivery system to ensure recipient participation and access to providers of dental services under MO HealthNet.
Elks Mobile Dental Unit Funding Restored - Truly Agreed to and Finally Passed - SIGNED INTO LAW (6/28/13) - House Bill 10 which appropriates money for the expenses, grants, refunds and distributions of the Department of Mental Health, Board of Public Buildings, and Department of Health and Senior Services, contained funding for the Elks Mobile Dental Units. These units serve the dental needs of the handicapped and developmentally disabled adults and children.
Medicaid Extractions for Adults - Truly Agreed To and Finally Passed - SIGNED INTO LAW (6/28/13) - House Bill 11 appropriates money for the expenses, grants and distributions of the Department of Social Services. This bill contained authorization and funding for Adult Medicaid extractions, exams and imaging necessary to complete those extractions.
Rural Health Clinics Pilot Project - Truly Agreed To and Finally Passed - SIGNED INTO LAW (6/28/13) - House Bill 11 also contained in HB 11, is the approval for the MO HealthNet Division to establish a two-year pilot project by which Rural Health Clinics shall be permitted to provide dental care to eligible children in rural communities through cooperative agreements with community dentists. This program received funding in the amount of $1.25 million.
Sealants - Truly Agreed To and Finally Passed - SIGNED INTO LAW (7/8/13) - Senate Bill 330 allows dentists to delegate to assistants the tasks of placement of pit or fissure sealants and application of topical fluoride to dental assistants under their direct supervision.
Bills that were filed, which the MDA supported but that failed to receive approval from the General Assembly are listed below.
- Director of Dental Health - House Bill 613 requires the Bureau of Dental Health within the Department of Health and Senior Services to implement the Missouri Oral Health Program to increase public awareness of its importance and hire a Director of Dental Health to oversee the program.
- Fluoridation - House Bill 467 requires a public water system to notify the Department of Natural Resources, the Department of Health and Senior Services, and its customers at least 30 days prior to a vote to cease fluoridation.
- Medical Malpractice Insurance Reform - House Bill 112 establishes a statutory cause of action, replacing the common law action, for damages against a health care provider for personal injury arising out of the rendering of or failure to render health care services.
Legislator Look Up Tool
Find legislators in your district
2014 Legislative Agenda Preview
The MDA is continually advocating for the issues important to you. The upcoming legislative agenda is being reviewed by the MDA’s Legislative and Regulatory Committee. Possible topics include but are not limited to the following:
Improve the Medicaid System
- Improve Efficiency by implementing a Dental Carve Out (Read More)
- Improve Reimbursement Rates
- Currently Reimbursed at 38.75% of UCR
- Rate does not cover basic costs of practitioner to provide care
Insurance Policies Reforms
- Outlaw Silent PPOs
- Oppose a Quality Rating system (Read More)
- Restore Medical Malpractice and Tort Award Caps
- Non-Economic Caps ruled unconstitutional
- Restoration of these caps is an attempt to keep insurance premiums low
Push for Expanded Coverage
- Adult Dental Coverage
- Statutes allow for coverage of this population
- Funding hasn't been provided since 2004
- Coverage for the DD Population
- Provide Private Coverage for Pregnant Women
- Provide More Education Opportunities for Dental Students by Compensating UMKC for Unfunded Dental Care Provided to Adult Patients
- Creation of an Income Tax Deduction or Tax Credit
- Provide compensation to the provider for non-covered emergency services
- Will help to offset the millions of dollars for free care provided by dentists
Join the MDA Grassroots Network
With so many new legislators, the MDA has a lot of people to get to know. If you have an existing relationship with a Representative or Senator (participate in a fundraiser, attend church together, knew each other in college or high school), please Join the Grassroots Network.
Return to Top