Healthy Kids Day
In 2013 the MDA will again coordinate with select Missouri Ys to be a part of their Healthy Kids Day events that take place throughout the state this spring. The MDA will provide an "out of the box" interactive and informative display that focuses on good oral health and engages kids and parents. Healthy Kids Day is an event designed to teach children in the community about healthy living.
The new Ad Council 2min2x campaign will be this year's theme, and encourages kids to brush two minutes, twice a day. The campaign recognizes that kids can focus on a variety of other activities throughout the day (TV, video games) for longer than 2 minutes and emphasizes the great benefit of spending a short amount of time each day on oral care.
At each event, children will be able to brush teeth on a puppet while visiting with volunteers about oral hygiene habits. Their goody bags will include information for parents and oral care supplies for kids, including disclosing tablets, flossers, brush (with 2min2x logo), paste, and a two-minute sand timer that includes the MDA name and website, but also directs them to 2min2x.org. Much of the budget is allocated to radio spots that are placed in each area of the state where the events will be held. These ads continue to support the MDA's Your Mouth Is Talking campaign, help promote the event itself, encourage turnout and provide an oral health message to all listeners.
This effort is funded by a grant from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services Office of Primary Care and Rural Health (Oral Health Program), and is planned by the MDA in partnership with local Ys using local dental volunteers. In 2012, this trial program was conducted at eight select Ys across the state; this year, the MDA will target 12 locations. You also can stay up to date and find events at Facebook.com/YourMouthIsTalking.
Event locations include:
- March 30: Lebanon Family Y, Lebanon (9a-12p)
- April 12: Callaway County Y, Fulton (9a-2p)
- April 20: Roy Blunt Y of Bolivar, Bolivar (10a-1p)
- April 27: Mexico Area Family Y, Mexico (9a-1p)
- April 27: Salt Fork Y, Marshall (9a-11a)
- April 27: Cameron Regional Y, Cameron (1p-3p)
- April 27: Adair County Family Y, Kirksville (10a-1p)
- April 27: Carondelet Park Rec Complex, STL (10a-2p)
- April 27: Fassnight Park, Springfield (9:30a-12p)
- April 27: Twin Pike Family Y, Louisiana (10a-12p)
- April 27: Linwood Family Y, KC (10a-1p)
- September 14: Y of SE Missouri, Sikeston (10a-1p)